Thursday, August 7, 2014


Couldn't resist...


A few months was the first time I saw the tiny Panasonic Lumix GM1. I was fascinated by the looks of it and how really small it was, even smaller than my LX7.
The build quality was another point that made me want to have it, compared to my good old GH2 it looked much sturdier not having that shiny plastic shell...

But I did resist at the time, not knowing why I should need this camera. Also, it was only available as a kit and I didn't like (neither had I the use for it) the 12-32 lens that came with it. And its protruding front tube that came out at the longer end of the lens spoiled the great looks of this sexy camera.

But now, everything has changed... I was offered a barely used GM1 body. 
Maybe you remember my post about my GH2 rig that I used together with the Panasonic 100-300 mm lens. Since I have switched mainly to the Fuji X system I only used the GH2 for some wildlife photography once in a while. The last time I used it though, I noticed that it had become too big and heavy for my taste.
That's why I had considered replacing the GH2 with a GM1, but the lack of an ELV made me hesitate doing so.
Then I remembered having this great little LCD hood that I sometimes use on my LX7 (see resp. post). I figured that I could use this also on the GM1 with the 100-300 mm mounted. And I did!



As you can see, it fits perfectly and makes a very good little combo.

The Panasonic 100-300 mm lens is a bit on the heavy side when mounted to the GM1, so it might not be the best idea to mount the camera body directly to a tripod with the heavy lens hanging freely on the lensmount of the camera.
Fortunately, in my case the mounting bracket for the LCD hood works as the ideal lens support.


As you can see, I mounted a spacer between the camera's tripod mount and the LCD hood bracket so that the bracket is almost on the same level as the lens. I glued a thin piece of plastic in the remaining space, so now the bracket has become a sturdy lens support and releases the lens mount of the camera body.


In order to reach the LCD screen of the camera, part of the hood collapses upwards, so one can easily look onto the LCD screen and use the touchscreen functions if desired.


And of course, the LCD hood detaches completely from the bracket by simply pulling it off. A
strong magnet holding it in place when attached.


Finally, I aquired an old pistol grip with shoulder brace from a Leitz Telyt lens that I can easily attach to the LCD hood bracket. This setup proved to be very ergonomical yet light and ensures some tack sharp images even without a tripod!


Last but not least, I had become so fond of that little camera that I decided it would not only be used with the 100-300 mm lens. So I got me a used Panasonic 14 mm 2.5 and a nice metal lens hood. Don't ask me why... ;-)

to be continued... 

1 comment:

  1. Ungewöhnliche Optik, da muss man die kleine Kamera schon fast suchen. Aber mir gefällt es....Neugierige Grüße wie es weitergeht mit der "Kleinen"...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to post you comments and let me know what you think of my blog.