Thursday, June 26, 2014


New Gadgets!

Got me some new gadgets for my X Pro 1...

1.)  DIY Silk camera strap

Having seen the really great looking silk camera strap made by a well known manufacturer of stylish accessories made me wanting to have one of those. But when I found out how much they cost, I changed my mind and decided to try to make one myself.
So I was doing some research on the internet to find out where to find silk cord  in 8mm diameter. And I quickly got lucky and found a vendor in Greece where I ordered 1 Meter (apx. 1 Yard) of it.

After it arrived I took some pieces of leather from an old leather coat and cut them into two correct sized pieces. Not being a tailor it took me quite some hours to do the handstiching with ordinary sewing tools.

Anyway, I'm more than happy with the result. The silk cord might not be of the same quality of that for the $140.00 strap, but it looks good, is sturdy enough while still soft and flexible and for a mere $10.00 for the material well worth it... :-)


 2.)  HG X Pro 1 Grip

I was offered a used original hand grip and decided to give it a go. Indeed, the camera has better ergonomics with it and it doesn't spoil the looks of the camera either.
I was a little afraid that the combination wouldn't fit in my case, but it did. Great!



3.) Alternative lens hood for the 18-55mm 2.8-4.0

Athough the original lens shade for the 18-55mm is great, I wanted something more compact for everyday use. In a Fuji X user group I found a post that recommended a metall screw-in Lens hood that would fit the bill.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find one here in Germany so I had to order it from the US. It took a while to arrive, but the wait was well worth it. It totally fits the lens both in functionality an in looks. There is no vignetting at 18mm and the original lens cap also fits.



4.) Nikon DR-3 Right angle finder

As most of you probably already know, finder accessories from the old Nikon FE and FM cameras (with 19mm diameter) also fit the X Pro 1.
So I got me one - they are readily available on ebay for a descent price - and must say, that it was a good buy. It helps a lot when focussing from a lower angle, e.g. from a tripod and also makes manual focussing a lot easier. The built-in diopter adjustment is also a big pro for me as my eyes are not getting better with age... ;-)



to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to post you comments and let me know what you think of my blog.